Managing Acne In Chester & Hackettstown, NJ
Acne is a common skin condition that affects both adolescents and adults. Our dermatologists Dr. Jay Geller and Xin (Cindy) Guan PA-C at The Dermatology Specialists in Chester, and Hackettstown, NJ, provide a wide range of treatments to help control acne, so you can enjoy clear skin.
What Causes Acne?
Acne can be caused by several factors, but the most common cause is clogged pores. Your pores can become clogged with excess oil, dirt, and debris. Other causes include:
- Hormonal changes
Types of Acne
Acne blemishes can take many forms, including blackheads, whiteheads, and painful cystic acne.
Acne Treatment Options
Depending on the severity of the acne, our dermatologist may recommend:
Prescription topical or oral antibiotics to kill the underlying bacteria causing skin infection. This treatment is especially helpful for cystic acne.
Prescription-strength benzoyl peroxide products help to unblock pores. This treatment is an excellent choice to treat blackheads and whiteheads.
Tretinoin medications work to unblock pores. This treatment is an excellent choice for severe cases of acne.
Laser therapy uses heat and light energy to kill underlying bacteria causing skin infections.
Extraction treatment to entirely remove blackheads and whiteheads.
How You Can Prevent Acne
You can help prevent acne breakouts by following a few simple tips. You should:
- Exercise regularly which helps remove toxins and dirt from your body
- Practice stress reduction techniques to reduce acne breakouts
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to flush toxins from your body
- Clean and disinfect your cell phone regularly to prevent toxins from transferring to your face.
- Use non-comedogenic makeup to prevent pore blockage
- Change your pillowcase at least weekly to help keep your face clean
- Try not to touch your face to avoid transferring bacteria and dirt to your face
Treat Your Acne Today
To find out more about the prevention of acne and acne treatment options, call Dr. Jay Geller and Xin (Cindy) Guan PA-C at The Dermatology Specialists. You can reach them in Chester, NJ, by calling (908) 879-8800, or in Hackettstown, NJ, by calling (908) 452-5917, so call today.